We always appreciate the advice from John Tarnoff, author of Boomer Reinvention: How to Create Your Dream Career Over 50. In his latest post he guides post 50 workers to keep these things in mind.
- Your resume won’t get you hired. The sheer number of resumes and artificial intelligence used are working against you.
- Cultivate your network. Nothing is better than a personal recommendation or referral from someone in your network. Your prospective network is just as important. You must keep cultivating your network.
- Stop chasing open positions and start chasing relationships. Be methodical by building a list of prospective hiring managers and start emailing and tracking them. He has written a “Career Relationship Funnel” to get you started.
- Your experience is overrated. That’s a hard pill to swallow, but you can both intimidate or risk emphasizing the past. Speak to the future and how your experience might help with the future work you’re being hired for.
- We have a higher bar to clear. Even with your experience other candidates may fit the bill and be a lot cheaper than you are. Update your sense of what you can do now. Your updated professional identity will provide potential employers, investors, and networking contacts with an impressive and authentic value proposition they’re going to want to support and promote.