Dr. Dawn Graham is the Career Director for Wharton’s Executive MBAs, a Licensed Psychologist, former Corporate Recruiter, and Host of the national radio show “Career Talk” on Sirius XM 132. Her weekly podcast provides the best career tips and advice from Dr. Dawn and her expert guests. Whether you’re in a job search or want to know how to land a promotion or make more money in your work, Dr. Dawn has you covered!
In Dr. Graham’s latest article in Forbes she provides some common sense approaches to making the leap as a “Career Switcher”.
The modern job search is not what you may recall, especially if it’s been a while since you’ve been on the market. You can expect no responses as the norm, false starts and being generally ignored. Graham recommends diving in even if you don’t feel you’re just right. She says:
You don’t have to wait to be chosen to start your career switch.
She notes that traditional career paths are fading, giving way to portfolio careers, hybrid roles, gigs and virtual arrangements.
This disruption is great news for professionals who want to switch careers, since transferable skills, adaptability and a self-starting mindset are highly desired by today’s growing organizations.
Here are some things to keep in mind as you start your search:
- Start before you’re ready. In this ever-changing marketplace, chances are you’ll never feel 100% prepared.
- Follow your fear. The body is very wise if you take the time to listen.
- Embrace setbacks. When things go smoothly, there is little opportunity for learning.
- Stop comparing. We often look to the pros when learning, which means we also compare ourselves to the experts while we are progressing.
- Engage your network. Nothing great is ever accomplished independently, even if those around us only serve as sounding boards or cheerleaders.
- Persevere. Progress usually looks more like a roller coaster than a train, looping a few times before reaching its destination. Stop waiting for someone else to deem you worthy of the work that you were meant to do. You have everything you need right now to create your own path to success.
Read the full article: Career Switchers: Stop Waiting To Be Chosen
Photo by seier+seier on Flickr
Photo by: 100% Campaign on Flickr