“…life’s ordinary patterns have paused for millions of people.
In these last weeks and months before something resembling normality returns, we might ask ourselves, “What do I want ‘normal’ to look like?” Then, we can start preparing for a new and better normal than what we took for granted until a year ago.”
Could this be a once-in-a-lifetime chance to make the changes that 14 months of upheaval have unearthed? Arthur C. Brooks writes in the Atlantic that it’s time to prepare for a new and better normal than your pre-pandemic life. The story is the latest in the series “How To Build a Life.”
6 Principles for Navigating Challenges in Life
In Outside, Brad Stulburg writes that “change is not something that passively happens to you, but rather something you are in regular conversation with. But it means you have to work at it, and navigating change is a skill you can develop.”
Digging a little deeper into the psychology of our ability to change at this time he finds “Common pitfalls around change include attempting to avoid it, refusing to acknowledge it, actively resisting it, sacrificing agency, and striving to get back to the way things were. The last point is particularly timely.”
Our favorite tools and resources for expanding your network, staying in the know, learning new skills, and making your next move.
- Ian Sanders: Author of ‘365 Ways to Have a Good Day’ (out Nov 2021), is on a mission to make the world of work more human. His coaching sessions involve walking around London to get away from your desk, and get your mind moving too.
- Best Meditation Apps: Cool Material found dozens of apps geared towards helping you meditate, sleep better, and curb your anxiety. Some free and some with subscriptions for enhanced features and content.
- SHIFT Newsletter: Another newsletter, but with a unique twist.“An email to inspire health and wellness for men.” It’s a little cheeky, but we think there’s plenty of positive resources here for everybody.
Get More Next For Me
If you enjoy reading Next For Me there are a few ways you can dig deeper.
- Attend an Event – New York and DC in October!
- Buy our book: A Guide to Change For Everybody.
- Schedule a workshop based on the book.
- Take our course based on the book.
Do you know someone who is looking to make a move in their career or life? Please forward this newsletter to them. If you’re seeing our newsletter for the first time, subscribe!